Vera

The Sound and the Fury
William Faulkner
The Last Man
Anne McWhir
In Search of Walid Masoud (Middle East Literature in Translation)
Allen Roger M. A., Adnan Haydar, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra, جبرا إبراهيم جبرا
Clouds of Witness - Dorothy L. Sayers Sayers is always heaps of fun as long as she stays away from the phonetic spelling of regional accents. Such foolery made Five Red Herrings almost completely unreadable. Okay, maybe the train timetable business contributed to its high ranking on the snoozefest ladder.Anyway, her dodgy attempts at rendering a northern accent to the reader's ear were only saved by one delightful scene where Wimsey attempts to interview an ostler:To the grumpy ostler who took the horse, Peter, with his most companionable manner, addressed himself:'Nasty raw morning, isn't it?''Eea.''Give him a good feed I may be here some time.''Ugh!''Not many people about today, what?''Ugh!''But I expect your'e busy enough market-days.''Eea.''People come from a long way round, I suppose.''Co-oop!' said the ostler. Well, perhaps you had to be there. But compare with this abomination:Howd toong!' yelled Grimethorpe, in a fury. 'Doost want Ah should break ivery bwoan i' thi body!' He turned on Bunter. 'Tak thesenoff, Ah tell that. Tha'art here for no good.'And yet elsewhere she shows an understanding that you don't need to resort to this hey nonny nonsense to impart accent. Never mind. Doubtless she thought she was being terrifically clever and spent ages getting it just right. I suppose one day I'll grow up enough that the negatives in the Wimsey books will outweigh their delights but until then, this is just fun.