Vera

The Sound and the Fury
William Faulkner
The Last Man
Anne McWhir
In Search of Walid Masoud (Middle East Literature in Translation)
Allen Roger M. A., Adnan Haydar, Jabra Ibrahim Jabra, جبرا إبراهيم جبرا
Soulless - Gail Carriger I don't know if I can rate this book because I'm aware I'm rating it not against my standards, but against how disappointing it was in relation to the rave reviews it got. It's a perfectly fun and ordinary steampunk paranormal Victorian romance, with the usual dodgy writing, blood kink, possession kink, frock kink and ugly personality, conventionally pretty mamma/sisters. Alexia is a perfectly ordinary romance heroine. That is to say she would be immediately recognised as a Mary Sue if she turned up as an original character in fan fiction. She's unconventionally attractive, admired by all the gentlemen, smarter than everyone and has a unique superpower. I like her, she's fun. Her best friend isn't much more than a nod to a female character who isn't supernatural or the ugly sisters. She has an unfortunate hat problem which is harped upon incessantly. Poor Ivy cannot appear but her hats precede her. I thought of a great blurb for this book while reading it:Gail Carriger developed her plot and characters and then thought, hey, wouldn't this story be even more ace if I wrote the Drag Queen AU?Best typo in the copy I read: balmy for barmy. (But would Queen Victoria say barmy?)The downside was in the world building. It read a lot like a flippant Regency with machines and mad scientists. Recommended for lovers of steampunk supernatural Victorian romance that sound a little bit Regency. Bonus points if you have a possession kink - but vampires, werewolves: you knew that already.